An ALCO traveling block is the freely moving section of a block and tackle that contains a set of pulleys or sheaves through which the drill line (wire rope) is threaded or reeved and is opposite (and under) the crown block (the stationary section). The combination of the traveling block, crown block and wire rope drill line gives the ability to lift weights in the hundreds of thousands of pounds. On larger drilling rigs, when raising and lowering the derrick, line tensions over a million pounds are not unusual.
ALCO offers, supplies and stocks a variety of highly engineered Becket-Style Travelling Blocks with custom beckets to mate with many top drive models. We provide access to a comprehensive portfolio of various types of North American ALCO Manufactured Travelling Blocks to meet each customer’s specific requirements from standard to highly tailor made solutions.
ALCO Supplied Travelling Blocks
- All products designed, manufactured and certified for low temperature applications
- Heavy-duty wireline guards
- Secondary retention on all primary-load-path hardware components
- Available with multiple sheaves
- Supplied with 25ton – 35ton top attachment point for hanging blocks during slip-and-cut procedures
- A514 steel side-plates allow for smaller overall dimensions with higher load-ratings
- Forged one-piece sheaves with Extra-heavy groove area to allow multiple re-cuts
- ALCO Travelling Blocks are designed, manufactured to API Spec 8C PSL 1 SR2 (-40°)
- ALCO Travelling Blocks are available in load-ratings to meet your needs
- current designs accommodate up to seven (7) sheaves
- Custom beckets to mate with many top drive models
- Custom designs are also available to suit your drilling-operation needs
- Manufactured in North America